Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Stay Ready for When Your Opportunity Comes

On Saturday night, my team, the Texas Revolution, played our 11th game of the season – 12th if you include a preseason game. If you have followed my story, then you know I suited up for the preseason game and the first regular season game but have been on the practice squad ever since.

As we entered the tail end of our season, my hopes to suit up again began to dwindle. Though I still go to every practice and do my best, I no longer hold my breath each week waiting for the active roster to be announced. This past week, I had not even considered that I might dress. After all, we were playing the undefeated Sioux Falls Storm.

Knowing my chances of dressing against Sioux Falls were about 1 out of a million, I focused on what I could do for my team. I took pride in my role as a practice squad player, and I did my best to give my teammates a good look at the offense that Sioux Falls would show our defense in the game. I figured the best way I could contribute to the team was to help get the guys who were playing ready.

Of course, being that it was a holiday weekend, I was tempted to just have some fun. I had many offers for Friday night and even Saturday during the day. I wasn’t playing, so what did it matter? It would have been easy to give in to the temptation, go out and party, then just sit in the stands and watch the game. However, the athlete in me wouldn’t give up hope. The athlete in me made me stay disciplined and treat the game with the same respect as a practice squad player as I would’ve if I was on the active roster.

My discipline and dedication paid off. When I arrived at the field, I was immediately summoned by the coach. First question when I saw him, “Welter, do you have your gear?” Before I could answer, “Yes, but it won’t fit any of the guys,” he continued: “We need you to dress tonight.”

Turns out, two of our guys had not shown up. Turns out, because I was there and ready to go, I got the opportunity suit up.

I’m sharing this story because as an athlete, you never know when your number is going to be called, so you have to stay ready. Opportunity does not always come wrapped perfectly in a pretty little package with a bow on top. Sometimes, you have to be ready to pick up the opportunity someone else dropped and run with it.

Stay ready. Persevere. You never know when your opportunity will come.

Dr. Jen Welter earned a master’s degree in sports psychology and a doctorate in psychology from Capella University. A women’s professional football for 13 seasons, she currently is a member of the Texas Revolution, a male professional indoor football league. A four-time league champion with the Women’s Football Alliance’s Dallas Diamonds, Welter played for the 2010 and 2013 U.S. Women’s National Team at the IFAF Women’s World Championship, helping the Unites States earn a pair of gold medals. You can follow her on Twitter @jwelter47.

No comments:

Post a Comment