Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Is it what you do, or who you know?

For quite some time, I have been working on writing a book. Though I have been blogging for USA Football, I have kept many of my stories saved in the privacy of my own hard drive. However, as I was sitting down to type my latest encounter, I realized, this particular interaction will find it’s way into my book eventually, but that it needed more immediate attention.

Since playing for the Texas Revolution, I have had some great media and social media success, but I have also had my frustrations. Though some great buzz was created, I have privately fielded questions and concerns from friends of mine who were professional athletes wondering why it wasn’t bigger news. Questions like, Jen why did you never make it to any of the major female talk shows like Elen or Oprah? Why did SNL not pick up on you? Why no print magazines, only online versions? Jen, you made history, you should be doing this and that, making this and that etc. Upon fielding those questions, I would have to admit my own limitations, meaning I was limited by the fact that publicity was limited by what I, and the Media Director of the Texas Revolution, Mat Lundsford could generate.

I can not tell you how many times I fielded shock and confusion in the form of questions. “Why don’t you have an agent?” “Why would you think you could do this alone?” “Don’t you want help?”

Yes, guys, of course I want help. Of course, I would love for someone to be “handling PR for me,” but as the only woman in men’s professional football, there has been no roadmap to follow, and no huge agencies dying to help me.

Finally, I thought I got my break. A good friend of mine, who happens to be a SuperBowl Champion, recommended a PR person to me. He said to make sure she would work a percentage deal , because he knew I was far from well-funded by playing in the IFL. He was sure, with my story and my education, she would love to work with me.

Though I was apprehensive, I decided to reach out. When we finally got on the phone, I was excited and energized. First she gave me a summary of her background and experiences, then she said she could see that I was limited in what I was able to accomplish. Though I had felt good about what I had been able to do without a team, when she said, “a few talk shows and some media,” I immediately felt inept.

She then went on to ask what brands I was trying to build, and I told her one of my projects. As soon as I mentioned budget limitations, her tone audibly hardened, the conversation shifted to facts and figures. Before I could even really chime in, I was quoted a minimum monthly retained that was more over double what I had made in my entire time playing with the Texas Revolution.

Obviously, I could not agree to pay her money I didn’t have, and she quickly told me she no longer needed to donate time unless it was a charity that was close to her heart. As a consolation prize, she promised to reach out to some colleagues who might be willing to do some “pro bono work.” Before I could engage her in any more dialogue, even ask for guidance, she excused herself from the call. Though she said one of her clients was on the phone, and promised to call me back, the return call never came.

I knew what the interruption meant, but what spoke even louder was when she did not call back.
Several days later I received a text message which said:

Jen, I hope all is well… I just wanted you to know that I reached out to a few colleagues of mine and none of them have any flexibility to do anything on a commission basis right now. So, I am so sorry that I cannot help you, but I do wish you luck with all your endeavors.

At that very moment, I envied the business model of all the housewives show. Leveraging someone else’s money, to create pseudo-celebrity, then leveraging that pseudo-celebrity status to create money. The reality of the housewives trend, coupled with a producer telling me off-line that I would be perfect, if only I had a famous husband, had my head spinning , damn, why was I so busy inspiring young girls and making history, I should have been making money instead.

Not knowing what else to do, I decided to find my own voice and just sit down and write. If kept to myself, these experiences only help me, but by writing them, I have an opportunity to help other people.

In this case, I thought maybe, sharing this story, and this frustration might give those who I have helped, those who I have inspired, or anyone has a daughter in need of a female mentor an opportunity to change the dynamic. Do we really want the media we see to be dominated by people who have thousands of dollars monthly to keep a PR firm on retainer? Is there really no PR firm or publicist who would or could spend an hour or two using his or her power of who? Do producers and publishers really let the publicists control their stories?

Honestly, unfortunately, I don’t know how all those things work. Obviously, I cannot afford to have those things working for me. Instead, if you read this, I would ask that you think of your power of who, and see if there is something you can do.  Share a story. Share my website. Own your social media power.  Retweet, post, etc. Be bold and reach out, because if you care enough, others will follow your lead.  Please demonstrate that what you do as important as who you know! I am suiting out for one more Texas Revolution home game on June 14th, and the Army vs. Navy Veterans game on June 28th, and I need your support!  Info at www.JenWelter.com  www.TexasRevs.com  www.AFL-China.com

In terms of athletic resumes, few are a hard-hitting as that of little 5’2” linebacker Dr. Jen Welter, who made history as one of the first females to play in men's professional football. On January 24th, 2014 Welter signed with the Texas Revolution of the Indoor Football League to play Running Back. Due to the challenges of switching from playing with women to men, outdoor football to indoor football, and defense to offense, few people thought Welter would survive the Texas Revolution's Training camp. However, not only did she survive, Welter suited up for the preseason game against the North Texas Crunch on February 15, 2014. Welter rushed for 3 carries and -1 yard, and secured her spot in history as the first woman to play Running Back in men's professional football. Four days after Welter made history, on February 19th, the Revolution named Welter to the 2014 regular season roster. After making the 24 man roster, Welter was among the 20 players suited up for the February 21st game. Welter has remained an active player on the team through the 2014 season and dressed again with the Revolution on May 24th.

Prior to making history with men’s professional football in 2014, Welter had an amazing 13 year career in Women’s Professional Football. In 2013, Welter achieved several huge milestones by publishing her dissertation, graduating from her PhD program, becoming Dr. Welter, and winning her 2nd Gold Medal with Team USA at the IFAF Women’s World Championship. Ultimately, Welter’s  13 year Women’s football career included 2 Gold Medals, 4 World Championships, and 8 All Star Team selections.

No comments:

Post a Comment