Friday, August 22, 2014

A great week in my mission to inspire girls.

A great week in my mission to inspire girls.

I thought making history was tough, but it turns out, the question of what to do next is actually tougher. Apparently, when you do something that no one has ever done before, no one is really sure what to do with you next. Take that challenge, then add my specific makeup as a female football playing PhD who loves modeling, public speaking, and TV appearances, and even some of the most talented people in publishing, public relations, television, and sports tipped their heads sideways in confusion, while chomping at the bit as they taste potential.
As I have experienced this process, I can assure you am both excited and impatient. I am excited about the potential that the future holds, yet I am impatient because I would prefer that I had a game-plan.

Meanwhile, though my long-term game-plan is still developing, my basic mission to inspire young girls is building momentum. Within the last week “Back to School” timing provided me with two opportunities to speak to Kids.

First, ScoutsViewSports.com gave me the opportunity to encourage young student athletes to take control of their athletic futures by marketing themselves to colleges. At a concert put on by Jump On It, prior to a performance by Kirko Bangz, I encouraged the kids, especially the girls, to follow their passions and work hard for their dreams. As I told them, “my whole career I was told what I could not do, and that the only thing I could not do was quit, so I made history.” I also told the girls, “this concert is a concentration of heavy-hitters, and yet, the only female on the line-up tonight is me. Ladies, I challenge you. I know there are aspiring MC’s in the crowd tonight, instead of working your way to the front row of the stage, I encourage you perform on it. Whatever your stage, be the performer rather than just the supporter.” In the end, a crowd that was previously drowning other people out with chants of “Kirko” was now clamoring for selfies.

A few days later, I joined Un Deux Trois on Berkshire Lane in Dallas TX for their back to school fashion show. Though it was a completely different setup than the concert, the goal was to give the girls a boost before heading back to school. Like the girls, I dressed up in some of the trendiest fashion for girls. I actually joked and said that the reason I got hired for the show was because I not only made history, but that I was small enough to wear the clothes.

After we had finished rocking the runway, I had a chance to talk to the girls. Now, for the girls who clearly had the advantages of family support, I encourage them to be “& girls.” I told the girls that I remembered being their age and struggling with being pretty & smart & athletic. I felt like I had to minimize my gifts, so that I would not make my friends feel bad. The reassured them that “finally after making history as a professional football player & a doctor, who has modeled and been on TV, I realized it is not only okay to be an & woman, it is amazing.”

An adorable girl raised her hand and asked, “on a scale of 1-10, how amazing do you think you are?”

I could not help but laugh as I said, “Well I am pretty competitive, so I could always be better, but I score pretty high. I will let you give me the final rating though.”

As we were wrapping up, I took one more opportunity to share a message with the girls. I said, “girls, I also want you to know that life will not always be perfect. And you can’t let a lack of perfection keep you from something incredible. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the side and rock with it.” I literally had gotten the first prototypes of my custom hats from Stelth in the mail, so I took the opportunity to share why I wore the Stelth hat on Arsenio Hall.

The morning that I was on my way to Arsenio Hall, I looked in the mirror, and I noticed that I had a black eye. I told the girls, “I didn’t want to go on National TV and have everyone see my back eye, but that I also couldn’t miss the opportunity to do Arsenio Hall. So, I picked up the hat Stelth had sent me, before all the hype, just because they believed in me. I decided since they had supported me, I was going to support them, so I picked up the cap, tipped it to the side, caught my flight to California, and rocked it on Arsenio. Since they had supported me, I supported them, and now we have a custom hat.”

At the end of the show, I signed autographs and took pictures until each girl had her chance, and I sold all but 2 of the Stelth caps. At the end of the night, I knew there were some newly empowered “& girls” walking out that night, who would definitely tip their caps to the side and rock with it.


Ultimately, these two encounters confirmed that I am on the right path. Throughout my career, I have committed to following my heart. Though I wish I could see my bigger picture, I must say, as long as I am making a living inspiring others, I am living a great life. Maybe just maybe, I will inspire someone to help me elevate along the way. Who wouldn’t want to see a history making female football player on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment