Thursday, June 19, 2014

Success can be measured beyond statistics

In terms of success, certain things are easy to measure. Look at player statistics, wins, losses and, of course, the ultimate: a championship. With quantitative measurements, it is easy to say whether or not an athlete or a team was successful.

As an athlete, I have experienced seasons when I was the leading tackler on a team, so it was easy to say I was a success that season. I have played on teams that had winning records, so the coaches said we had a winning season. I have won championships, and that speaks for itself in terms of team success.

Obviously, quantitative measurements provide an objective measure of success. However, the question becomes: Is there success beyond the numbers? Further, if success is more than just statistics, how do you know when you are successful?

I suppose I am writing this today in search of my own answers. In part, I am trying to gage my own success as the first woman to play men’s professional football as a running back.

For so long, I have been one of the best women’s players in the world, and for so long, I judged my impact and value with statistics, all-star teams, championships and gold medals. Now, for the first time in a long time, if I only looked at my personal stat sheet, I would be a failure. However, in my heart, I know that my value in the story of football, as a role model for young girls and as an example that anything is possible makes me a success.

When I started with the Texas Revolution, few people thought I would survive training camp, fewer still thought I would making the opening day active roster and even I never imagined I would last an entire season. Of course, I would have preferred that I scored some touchdowns and made some big plays. However, in the end, I could only do what I was given the opportunity to do.

Though my statistics did not show it, what I did this season was bigger than running the football. In our last game, I was even one of the captains. I may not have been a leader in the stats, but I was a leader in my heart, hustle and persistence.
If I could give anything to those of you pursuing your dreams, it would be heart, hustle and persistence. If you live life and play with those characteristics, you will always win, no matter what the stats say. Play beyond the stats, and I guarantee you: Eventually, the stats that really matter will come.

Cheers from the gridiron.

Dr. Jen Welter earned a master’s degree in sports psychology and a doctorate in psychology from Capella University. A women’s professional football for 13 seasons, she currently is a member of the Texas Revolution, a male professional indoor football league. A four-time league champion with the Women’s Football Alliance’s Dallas Diamonds, Welter played for the 2010 and 2013 U.S. Women’s National Team at the IFAF Women’s World Championship, helping the Unites States earn a pair of gold medals. You can follow her on Twitter @jwelter47.

Dr. Jen Welter
BS Business, MS Sport Psychology, PhD Psychology

Female RB in Men's Pro Football, Texas Revolution
13 Seasons Women's Professional Football
8 time All-American linebacker/ safety ('03, '05, '06, '07, '08, 09, 10, & 12)
4 time World Champion with the Dallas Diamonds ('04, '05, '06, & '08)
2 time Gold Medalist, Team USA IFAF Women's World Championships 2010 & 2013
All-World All-Star WWC 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment